For the last two weeks 11 bit studios has been running a promotion where fans could purchase the studio’s next game for 50% off, with the catch being that the developer only provided a short teaser trailer to sell the project. As it turns out, we should have put more faith in 11 bit studios, because that secret project turned out to be Anomaly 2 – a direct sequel to the “the best tower defense game to ever not be a tower defense game”, Anomaly: Warzone Earth.
Anomaly 2 takes place several years after the alien machines invaded Earth in the original Anomaly: Warzone Earth. Apparently, you efforts to stop the mechanical threat were unsuccessful, because the plant is now completely overrun, and humankind is on the verge of extinction. What’s left of the human race is banded together in convoys that roam the frozen tundra in search of food and supplies. As 11 bit studios puts it, “Since the war, the roles have been reversed: now our species seems to be the Anomaly on a machine-controlled planet”.
Using the real-time strategy “tower offense” gameplay from Warzone Earth as a jumping off point, Anomaly 2 features the same core concepts — tactical planning, and on-the-fly combat support from the on-field Commander — but expands on them with several new features:
- Morph your troops into unique war mechs that have a different mech form with various abilities to help you overcome specific combat situations
- Engage in a multiplayer experience unique to Anomaly 2: “tower defense vs. tower offense”. Play as the alien towers and destroy the humans or lead the humans to annihilate the alien machines
- Fight across a post-apocalyptic world in an all-new single-player campaign
- Create your ultimate battle squad using more than a million tactical combinations to build your convoy
- An improved visual engine that provides a “beautifully rendered world”
- Alternate endings that are triggered upon your approach to the alien machines during the campaign
Anomaly 2 is being developed for the PC, Mac and Linux, and is set for a Q2 2013 release window for $14.99. Check out the first trailer and screenshots for the “tower offense” sequel below.
[Update] 11 Bit Studios has announced that Anomaly 2 will launch on May 15th for $15 on Steam.