Bungie is hopeful that their next content update for Destiny – Rise of Iron – will provide fans with a satisfying amount of content when it releases later this year for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
Speaking to Eurogamer in an interview at E3 last week, Destiny creative director Chris Barrett said that the development team are “going to give players as much as we can,” simply replying with “I hope it is,” when asked if he believes players will be happy with what the expansion offers. He continued to say that Bungie will ultimately have to “see how the community reacts.”
While early details suggest that Rise of Iron won’t be quite as big as last year’s The Taken King DLC, the former will include a brand new story revolving around the Iron Lords, as well as a new raid and shiny near gear to earn. Barrett says that playtests held recently have been “very positive.”
We had a big playtest at the studio last week and the feedback was very positive, everybody liked the new content. Our teams are very passionate – they had a lot of suggestions too.
But there’s always room to grow, Barrett admits. He says that the development team are always pushing the boundaries of how fast they can produce new, quality experiences for Destiny fans to enjoy.
We’re trying to get better at what we do. Build tools to make content quicker and focus on what the best and most impactful experiences are for players. We’re also learning as we go. I think we’re getting better at building Destiny, releasing content quicker.
Rise of Iron launches September 20 for current-gen consoles only. Bungie has previously confirmed that the add-on won’t be coming to Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.