VG 24/7 is telling us that the next game in the Call of Duty series, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, is set to include new team perks and killstreaks, as expected. First off though, gamers should expect the multiplayer to be “divided into cooperative Special Ops maps and traditional multiplayer maps,” and according to Kotaku, there will be 20 multiplayer maps.
As for Team Perks, there’s no word on exactly how many we’ll see but as least four are guaranteed as of now. They include:
- Stopping Power: Increased bullet damage.
- Blast Shield: Unclear
- Health Regen: Regenerate health over time.
- Stun Protection: Prevent stunning from flash grenades.
Then we come to the new perks, which are said to include:
- Blind Eye: This makes you immune to computer-controlled and player-controlled killstreaks. The pro version makes your launchers lock on faster and gives you extra bullet damage to vehicles.
- Assassin: This makes you immune to UAV, thermal, and heartbeat sensors. The pro version also makes you immune to CUAV, EMP and no longer shows your name in red or the crosshair in red when you’re targeted.
- Point Guard: Every two assists count as a kill towards your killstreak.
- Dead Silence: You make no noise.
- Recon: Gives you a special kind of radar to spot enemies, most likely. We’re not sure on this one.
And finally, the new killstreaks, which you can see below.
- EMP Grenade: Temporarily takes out all area electronics.
- Littlebird: A tiny remote-controlled helicopter.
- Precision Airstrike: Calls in an airstrike on a targeted area.
- Stealth bomber: Calls in a B2 Spirit to carpet bomb along a line designated by the player.
- Remote Turret: A remote controlled turret.
- Directional UAV: A UAV that can be directed into areas to scan for enemies.
- Remote Mortar: Direct a mortar team using a zoomable camera view of the map to call in strikes.
- Airdrop Trap: A booby-trapped airdrop.
- Ammo Resupply: An ammo reloading airdrop.
- Escort Airdrop: A protected airdrop.
- Specialist Strike Package: This one remains a mystery to us.
Personally, I’m most excited for the cooperative Special Ops maps. I loved Special Ops mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and I’m thrilled to see it returning here. The rest of the stuff, such as new perks and killstreaks is all well and good but to be honest, Call of Duty multiplayer has always been something of a challenge for me. It’s great fun and all but I’m not terribly good at it, which leads to a lot of deaths. I’m not really one of those hardcore Call of Duty players and I usually never even get killstreaks, so this stuff doesn’t excite me as much as it does others.
For those of you who love your Call of Duty multiplayer, what do you think?