Having lost its way amongst the thick foliage that is digital distribution, it appears, thanks to the ever reliable Steam registry, that Crysis 2 will finally be returning to Steam when the new ‘Maximum Edition’ of the game releases.
Having been abducted from Valve‘s service almost a year ago, the game is set to re-emerge stronger than ever with the comparatively sickly standard edition having been upgraded to the far more powerful and imposing ‘Maximum Edition’. This newly enhanced edition, which should not be confused with the similarly named ‘Maximum Graphics Edition’, features:
- Bonus XP – Access to preset classes plus a custom class
- Scar weapon Skin – Scar assault rifle digital camouflage
- Weapon Attachment – Day 1 access to scar hologram decoy
- Unique Platinum Dog Tag – Display your multiplayer rank and stats
- A total of 9 additional multiplayer maps supporting all game modes
- 2 New Weapons – FY71 Assault Rifle and M18 Smoke Grenade
The original reason it was pulled may remain hidden in the undergrowth but this is most certainly a welcomed return that, if the furore that surrounded its removal is anything to go by, should prove to be a rather popular (re)addition to the Steam catalogue.
Have Valve and EA resolved their issues, or is this merely another part of the Crysis 3 promotional program? I don’t suppose we will ever find out for sure, but I for one am glad to have Gabe Newell and John Riccitiello back in bed together regardless of the circumstances.