Rocket League developer Psyonix is aiming to mix things up a little with a bonkers new mode headed to the game next month. From September, players will have access to the new free-to-play ‘Rumble’ update, which introduces 11 goofy power-ups that immediately evoke the same wackiness Nintendo fans have enjoyed for decades with the Mario Kart series.
Psyonix says that Rumble will be playable in the Playlist and Mutator sections and will “let you compete in an epic battle royale with random, hilarious power-ups,” including such things as being able to disrupt your opponents car and the Haymaker, which summons a giant comical boxing glove to punch the ball.
The announcement reads:
Give your friends the boot with “Rocket League® Rumble!” This FREE new mode for the Playlist and Mutator sections will let you compete in an epic battle royale with random, hilarious power-ups like the Grappling Hook, Tornado, Freezer and more! Play it with friends and foes this September!
Whether you’re equipped with the Haymaker (which punches the ball), the Swapper (which changes your place on the field with an opponent’s), or the Tornado (you’ll just have to see it to believe it), each one of the 11 new power-ups brings an extra dimension to the classic Rocket League formula.
See below for the full list of power-ups:
- The Boot (Kicks an opponent’s car)
- Disruptor (Forces your opponent to drive uncontrollably)
- Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
- Grappling Hook (Pulls you towards the ball)
- Haymaker (Punches the ball)
- Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
- Plunger (Grabs the ball via plunger and cord)
- Power Hitter (Allows you to hit everything harder)
- Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
- Swapper (Change positions on the field with your opponent)
- Tornado (Sweep up the ball and opposing cars into a giant funnel cloud)
Psyonix hasn’t nailed down a firm release date for Rumble mode just yet, but it will be with you before the end of September, so there’s not too long to wait.
In related news, it was discovered by an eagle-eyed Rocket League fan on Reddit a few weeks back that Psyonix intends to introduce an in-game store to the vehicular soccer game at some point in the future.