Fancy your chances at getting to play video games alongside an international superstar? That dream could become a reality for one lucky person, as comedian/actor Will Ferrell has put on a fundraising event via Indiegogo which aims to raise money for charity.
Proceeds will go to Donategames.org and Cancer for College, which help out children and families who are battling with cancer, the former of which goes towards scholarships for young cancer survivors.
A two-hour event has been set up by the Anchorman star where one fortunate winner will be treated to an all-expense trip to San Francisco and will get the chance to play video games with the actor. The event will also be streamed over Twitch, so even those who didn’t back it will be able to witness the event live.
The Indiegogo website outlines the grand prize as follows:
- An all expenses paid trip for 2 to San Francisco – includes roundtrip airfare + 2 nights in a hotel (see fine print at bottom for details)
- VIP visit to Twitch’s offices in downtown San Francisco (the super secret filming location for the event)
- Play video games with me…..live broadcasted on Twitch
- Hang out with other special guests including top pro gamers & charity sponsors
- All kinds of cool swag including event t-shirts, my all new sunblock for gamers, and much more.
- Some photographs with me (to prove it really happened)
The idea came to Ferrell after taking part in a drum-off fundraiser against Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ own drummer, Chad Smith. A total of $300,000 was raised and prompted Ferrell to wonder whether something similar could be achieved by gaming.
“After deep analysis and planning, I was basically convinced gamers should be able to raise more than musicians and RHCP fans….right? I mean, aren’t there a million kajillion gamers out there?”
At the time of writing, the page has raised over $40,000 of the $375,000 it needs with still over thirty days to go. To encourage people to back the event, supporters will receive a range of perks, including Will Ferrell’s own brand of sunscreen (aptly titled Will Ferrell’s Gamer Sunscreen) with every $50 donation.
If you’re feeling charitable, make sure to help out this fantastic cause.