After first launching last summer, the YouTube Gaming app has now undergone a new update and is continuing its worldwide rollout. The goal is to get the app available for as many gamers around the world as possible, as the YouTube Gaming team attempt to continue to bring gamers together across the globe.
The app is now available for users in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland, thus adding a potentially huge user base to the community. The latest press release from YouTube also promises that “more countries are coming soon,” so if you’re still unable to get access for now then that problem could be solved swiftly.
In addition to the new area releases, the YouTube Gaming app has added the following features to its functionality:
- Homepage navigation: Say goodbye to the sidebars! We’ve simplified the homepage to make it easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Game and channel browsing: We’ve added pages for you to manage your games and channels, plus discover new ones.
- Dedicated live destination: You’ll find a new “Live” tab on the homepage that brings together top streams, top games, and streams from channels you’re subscribed to.
- Android live playback: Our Android live stream player joins iOS and the HTML5 desktop player with an upgrade to support quality switching, 60fps playback, and DVR mode.
- Pop-out player: On Android, you can now pop out the YouTube Gaming player to keep it visible above other apps on your device.
If you haven’t checked out the YouTube Gaming app before, it’s essentially a Twitch-esque service headed by the internet’s video giants. If you’re reading this, chances are it’s available in your territory.