“When he told me he was too old to wear the mantle of Panther, he would pass it to me and just be king.”
On the heels of Tuesday’s raw, deeply emotional exchange between Okoye (Danai Gurira) and W’Kabi (Daniel Kaluuya), Marvel Studios has summoned a second Black Panther deleted scene. And this one puts the focus squarely on King T’Challa, who harkens back to the reign of T’Chaka alongside Zuri, the wise old mentor played by Forest Whitaker.
There’s an air of bittersweet emotion hanging over the duo, as T’Challa, the newly-anointed Black Panther, reflects on his younger years and generally growing up under the shadow of T’Chaka, who so tragically perished during the opening scene of Captain America: Civil War. Leave it to Zuri, then, to bring some levity to the situation, telling Chadwick Boseman’s would-be Avenger that T’Chaka was simply too fat to fit in the suit.
Pegged for a home video release on May 15th, the Black Panther Blu-ray is teeming with extras and special features, including a director’s intro from none other than Ryan Coogler himself. He’s said to be negotiating with Marvel Studios over the possibility of helming the all-but-inevitable Black Panther sequel, though it would seem Kevin Feige and Co. are prepared to wait until such time as Coogler is ready and willing to return at the helm.
Via Marvel, here’s what to expect from the Blu-ray.
– Director’s Intro
– From Page to Screen: A Roundtable Discussion – Delve into the film’s making
– Crowning of a New King – Explore the world of “Black Panther” in all its color and complexity
– The Warriors Within – Get to know Wakanda’s women and the actors who portray them
– The Hidden Kingdom Revealed – Wakanda’s diverse people
– Wakanda Revealed: Exploring the Technology
– Deleted Scenes
– Gag Reel
– Exclusive Sneak Peek at “Ant-Man and The Wasp”
– Marvel Studios the First Ten Years: Connecting the Universe
– Director’s Commentary
Marvel’s Black Panther has been slated for a Blu-ray release on May 15th – exactly one week after its digital debut. Now, only one question remains: will you be returning to Wakanda later this month? Do let us know.