The Force has awakened, indeed.
J.J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened overseas yesterday and already the film is making Disney execs very, very happy. Pulling in a total of $14.1 million and placing #1 in each of the 12 international markets it played in, the latest sequel in the behemoth franchise is breaking box office records left, right and centre.
According to Disney, the film achieved the following:
- Biggest single industry day of all-time in Norway and Sweden.
- Biggest industry opening day of all-time in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland (French-speaking).
- Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, South Africa and Switzerland (French-speaking).
- Biggest opening day of 2015 in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking).
- All markets are the biggest Star Wars opening days ever.
- France – #1 opening with biggest ever December, Disney and Star Wars opening day. More than double the opening day of Avengers and almost double the opening day of Jurassic World.
- Italy – #1 opening with biggest ever December and Star Wars opening day. Almost double the opening day of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
- Several markets posted the biggest IMAX opening day of all-time.
As for the individual grosses from each country, they’re as follows:
- France $5.2M
- Italy $2.0M
- Sweden $1.7M
- Norway $1.1M
- Denmark $1.0M
- Belgium $0.8M
- Netherlands $0.8M
- Finland $0.6M
- Other markets $0.9M
- Total $14.1M
Things are only going to go up from here, too, as The Force Awakens will invade another 32 markets today, including Germany, UK, Russia, Australia and more. Of course, it also hits North America tonight at midnight, where it’s expected to pull in over $200 million during the weekend.
If you’ve already seen the film, you’ll know that it’s more than deserving of every dollar it’s about to make. Our very own Isaac Feldberg had nothing but praise for it in his review, and I think everyone can, and will, agree that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the Star Wars movies that fans have been waiting over 40 years for.