DC All Access recently caught up with the cast of Gotham to discuss what we can expect from the show, now that we are several episodes deep into its impressive sophomore season.
Cast members that took part in the video include, Robin Lord Taylor (Oswald Cobblepot/ The Penguin), Erin Richards (Barbara Kean), Ben McKenzie (Jim Gordon), James Frain (Theo Galavan) and Jessica Lucas (Tabitha Galavan/ Tigress). While you can check it out for yourself above, here are some of the highlights.
- According to Robin Lord Taylor, we will see “a lot of interaction between Oswald and Edward Nygma.” Apparently, Taylor happens to be a big fan of the show in addition to being a part of the principal cast. He enjoys watching the man who will one day become The Riddler develop as well as his descent into madness. Those two characters have had rather limited interaction to this point, so it will be most interesting to see two of Batman’s most recognizable villains interact before they fully develop into the iterations that fans both die hard and casual are intimately familiar with.
- Erin Richards claims that Barbara is “on a mission to get back Jim Gordon.” Most fans expected this character to blossom into the woman that Gordon would one day marry, but the show’s creative team obviously had other plans. After all, it’s hard to picture Jim taking her back after seeing the vile acts she’s committed. Let’s also not forget that executive producer John Stephens hasn’t denied that it’s possible she will become a female version of The Joker.
- We do get a glimpse at Firefly here, although I’m reasonably sure it’s footage that we have previously seen in promos.
- Jessica Lucas doesn’t deny her character harbors “some resentment” toward her brother and we will soon get “a hint where she’s gonna end up.”
- Ben McKenzie teases a return of Jerome Valeska, the proto-Joker. One has to wonder how a possible resurrection would work in the grounded world Gotham has established, but it wouldn’t be a bad choice to bring back a character that so many fans became attached to.
- Taylor teases the return of another character – Fish Mooney. Although she’s no longer a member of the principal cast, her “death” at the end of the first season was pretty open ended, something Taylor addresses directly.
- The Court of Owls is brought up yet again. Showrunner Bruno Heller recently confirmed one of the most popular additions to the Batman comic book mythos since the inception of The New 52 will eventually make their live action debut on the show. One ponders if they will show up sooner rather than later, considering how often they have been brought up lately.
Gotham airs Mondays at 8pm EST on Fox.