Trump’s ballroom has just set the Senate up for a high-stakes battle over funding. The White House project is set to take center stage as senators prepare to debate a budget reconciliation package. Interestingly, this package is primarily intended to fund immigration enforcement operations through 2029.
According to The Hill, Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough dealt the GOP with a setback by ruling the plan to provide hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for the ballroom violated the Senate’s Byrd Rule. Thus, the provision cannot pass the Senate with a simple majority, which would have given the GOP an easy win on one of the president’s top priorities. Unsurprisingly, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer hailed the ruling as a big victory
Republican senators are busy revising the language to avoid a 60-vote threshold on the floor, which will lead to a showdown during the vote on Thursday. Ryan Wrasse, senior aide to Senate Majority Leader John Thune, captured the mood of the leadership, saying, “Redraft. Refine. Resubmit. None of this is abnormal during a Byrd process.” However, some Republicans are completely against the funding.
There is a hole in the dyke, my friends
The ballroom is becoming a serious political headache. Many vulnerable Republicans are worried about having to take tough votes on keeping ballroom funding alive. A group of senators also made it clear to Thune, privately, that they don’t want to vote on providing up to $1 billion for the 90,000-square-foot project. Some of these lawmakers were actually crossing their fingers that the parliamentarian would bail them out by knocking the funding out entirely.
One GOP lawmaker bluntly remarked, “I don’t think they have the votes for it.” Another senator noted that there is a lot of discomfort due to the sheer amount of money involved, especially since the project was originally supposed to be privately funded. That senator added, “If it gets ‘Byrded’ out, I don’t think some people are going to cry about it.”
The frustration is palpable among members who are being forced to defend the spending. Schumer has been relentless, repeatedly calling the project “Trump’s palace.”
“Trump said not one penny of federal money would be used for the ballroom. Well, give me a break, another lie,” Schumer said at a press conference last week. “These ballroom Republicans are choosing Trump’s chandelier over your child’s care.”
Democrats are planning to use this situation to put immense pressure on vulnerable Republicans like Susan Collins, Dan Sullivan, and Jon Husted. The strategy involves forcing them to take several votes on reallocating the ballroom money toward other priorities, such as lowering out-of-pocket healthcare costs.
One Democratic senator stated, “It’s terrible politics, that’s why we’re going to beat them up on it at every opportunity.” They are preparing multiple amendments to strip the funding and redirect it elsewhere. “We’re going to beat that baby up,” the lawmaker added.
The journey to this point has been quite a saga. According to the BBC, the project gained renewed momentum after the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting. The administration touted the security benefits of a ballroom over a hotel. Although many noted that the security at the hotel was suspiciously lax.
Since then, the administration sought to fast-track the renovation of the East Wing to bolster presidential safety. Construction crews even began tearing down the storied East Wing in October as the president pushed plans for what he called the “finest ballroom of its kind, anywhere in the world.”
The National Trust for Preservation has sued to block construction, arguing that the changes are against the law without congressional approval. While an appeals court did rule in April that construction could continue, the current fight in the Senate adds another layer of complexity.
Republicans are now working to reframe the language in the bill to ensure the funding survives. Some sources suggest they might omit direct references to the East Wing modernization to make it less controversial. However, a Democratic senator noted that if the language is too vague, it might hurt the administration’s case in court.
They explained that having something explicit in the legislation makes it easier for White House lawyers to argue that Congress has officially authorized the new ballroom. It is a tricky balance for the GOP, as they try to satisfy the president’s demands while keeping their own members on board.
Published: May 19, 2026 11:53 am