While Fiona Dourif’s small glimpses into Don Mancini’s latest Child’s Play sequel Curse Of Chucky were very much appreciated by fans who were worried about what type of Good Guy doll we’d be getting this time around, we finally have our first genuine look at the Chuckster back in action with the release of the first trailer for Mancini’s upcoming film. A picture is worth a thousand words, but let’s be honest – a trailer is worth a million.
Back again is legendary voice actor Brad Dourif as our red-haired devil doll, as Mancini reverts back to a cleaner doll form which gets rid of the stitches that Franken-Chucky has recently been sporting. Along with embracing the old Chucky look, we can now also tell you that Curse Of Chucky won’t be full of the jokey material that both Bride Of Chucky and Seed Of Chucky experimented with. As you can see in the trailer, Chucky isn’t f#cking around this time, as he’s bringing the terror back to playtime in a big way.
Here’s the official plot synopsis for those of you still in the dark:
He’s back! From the filmmakers that brought you Chucky comes the terrifying return of the pint-sized doll possessed by the spirit of a notorious serial killer. When a mysterious package arrives at the house of Nica (Fiona Dourif, “True Blood”), she doesn’t give it much thought. However, after her mother’s mysterious death, Nica begins to suspect that the talking, red-haired doll her visiting niece has been playing with may be the key to the ensuing bloodshed and chaos. The return of America’s favorite toy, voiced again by Brad Dourif, is unrated and full of more blood-splattered thrills and chills.
But wait, there’s more!
It looks like Jennifer Tilly was right when she spilled the apparent release date for Curse Of Chucky on Twitter, as we now have confirmation that you can buy Chucky’s latest killing spree on DVD and Blu-Ray come October 8th, 2013, but you can also catch it through Video On Demand platforms starting September 24th, 2013. For those of you who like owning actual physical copies of your movies, it looks like you’ve got a little more time to wait than those people willing to just give Chucky a rent.
Collectors/die hard fans should note that also being released on October 8th will be a US exclusive collection called Chucky: The Complete Collection Limited Edition. All six movies will be included in this collector’s edition bundle, including Curse Of Chucky, along with the following extras:
- Living Doll: Bringing Chucky to Life: Featuring the award-winning work of animatronics company Alterian, this featurette shows the pain-staking detail involved with bringing Chucky to life and the army of people behind the process. (Blu-Ray Exclusive)
- Voodoo Doll: The Chucky Legacy: More than six films and a quarter of a century, Chucky, the possessed Good Guys doll, has been the playmate we love to hate. This featurette looks at why we’re still frightened by the red haired terror and recalls some favorite moments from the previous films. (Blu-Ray Exclusive)
- Storyboard Comparisons (Blu-Ray Exclusive)
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
- Playing with Dolls: The Making of Curse of Chucky: From scripting, to casting to shooting, this featurette proves that playing with dolls is definitely not child’s play! Follow the cast and crew of Curse of Chucky as they bring the newest and scariest chapter in the series to the screen.
- Feature Commentary with Director Don Mancini, Puppeteer Tony Gardner and Star Fiona Dourif
Ok, I think that’s enough Chucky related information for today, don’t you? I gave you the first trailer for Curse Of Chucky, the official release date for VOD platforms, the official release date for DVD/Blu-Ray, and all the extra goodies you can find in the brand new franchise-spanning collector’s edition. Chucky’s back baby, and if we’re to believe Bloody Digusting’s own Brad Miska, “…he’s better than ever.”
I’ll let you decide for yourself though. Check out the brand new trailer below, along with the box art you’ll see when you pick up your own copy of Mancini’s film. Let us know what you think of Chucky’s return!