Much to the surprise of no one, director J.J. Abrams categorically denied that there would be any more trailers released for Star Wars: The Force Awakens prior to its December release late last month. But that doesn’t necessarily signal Disney and Lucasfilm flipping the switch for radio silence; rather, it means our collective appetite will have to be sated by TV spots, behind-the-scenes stills and, as announced by ABC today, special looks at the sci-fi sequel.
Taking to Twitter, the network confirmed that it will be hosting a preview event for Lucasfilm’s beloved galaxy far, far away all in anticipation of the release of The Force Awakens. Set to be hosted by actors from ABC’s leading series – Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy and How to Get Away with Murder – Shonda Rhimes unveiled the announcement via Twitter.
MORE NEWS FROM THE WEB
Promising an “exclusive special look,” it’s unclear whether said footage will be genuine unseen clips from Star Wars: The Force Awakens or, in the more likely scenario, a faux-documentary styled piece that recounts some of the journeys and adventures had on the set of Disney’s Episode VII. Naturally, the majority of fans will be holding out for the former, but surely the House of Mouse has revealed enough from the film at this stage, no?
— shonda rhimes (@shondarhimes) November 10, 2015
What’s important to note, however, is that said preview is to be screened during ABC’s TGIT, and considering that the network is owned by Disney, Thursday’s snippet can be broken down into a cross-promotion stunt. We will, of course, be tuning in to see what the fuss is about, but just don’t go in expecting an in-depth report on the minutia of the Knights of Ren or speculation about the whereabouts of one Luke Skywalker.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is primed to launch in theaters on December 18. Check back to We Got This Covered on Thursday evening when we’ll have full coverage of ABC’s preview, whatever it brings to the table.