The floodgates have opened.
In light of Sunday’s “deeply troubling” accusation, in which Star Trek: Discovery‘s Anthony Rapp claimed Kevin Spacey tried to “seduce” him when he was only 14-years-old, the disgraced House of Cards actor now faces more allegations of sexual misconduct.
The UK police are said to be investigating allegations that Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted a man in the London borough of Lambeth almost ten years ago, when he was still artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre. The incident, which was brought to light by The Sun newspaper, reportedly involved a 23-year-old man back in 2008, and though the Metropolitan Police didn’t mention Spacey by name, this is believed to be the first allegation brought forward to UK authorities.
On 1 November, City of London Police referred an allegation of sexual assault to the Metropolitan Police Service. It is alleged a man assaulted another man in 2008 in Lambeth. Officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command are investigating.
It’s the latest in a long line of disturbing allegations – allegations that prompted Netflix to suspend all production on House of Cards for the foreseeable future. Since then, the online streamer has been mulling over multiple spinoff series, but as evidence begins to mount, and more and more people come forward with their stories, we can’t imagine Spacey will be reprising his role as Frank Underwood anytime soon.
Since his apology on Sunday, in which Spacey came out as gay for the first time – something that was openly slammed by the LGBT community – the actor is now said to be seeking “evaluation and treatment.”
We’ll be keeping a close eye on the Kevin Spacey saga as it continues to unfold, and we can only hope that those guilty are brought to justice before long.