Aside from the main plot involving Robin and Barney, I would’ve liked a bit more Marshall. He’s hardly in this episode at all, and after last week leaving off with him getting ready to walk five miles, I was hoping that adventure would play a major role. I’m sure that journey is coming in the next few weeks, but still, Marshall versus the machines part two should be quite the funny story.
The way Lily finally tells Robin and Ted about Marshall is a bit odd. It seems weird that she would drop that sort of bomb during the rehearsal dinner and not just to Ted in private. Lily has been unhappy for most of the weekend, but she’s done a pretty solid job at keeping things under control when Robin is around. It seems a bit out of character for her to make such a drastic reveal during a serious wedding moment. Still, it’s nice that it’s out in the air now, and I look forward to Ted and her revisiting it.
This puts us at the night before the wedding, and with still about half a season to go, really not a ton has happened. The Mother is still somehow missing from the hotel, Marshall is still on the road, and other than tonight, nothing of significance has happened between Barney and Robin. I’d say it’s pretty safe to expect quite a few flashbacks since the entire second half of the season isn’t likely to take place over the course of a few hours (though it could), and also expect the Mother’s role to grow exponentially very soon. The season as a whole needs some more substance, and while there’s still time, the clock’s ticking.
Ignoring the future of the season though, tonight’s episode is a great one for How I Met Your Mother. It certainly isn’t my favorite ever, or even in my top ten, but it’s such a breath of fresh air compared to how dull everything else has been lately. It’s funny, fast-paced, and has a story that didn’t leave me cringing every two minutes. Best episode of the season so far.
Other Random Notes
- Canada jokes! They may be the best parts of the entire series.
- Step aside Michael Douglas, Josh Radnor is Liberace. Okay, maybe not so much, but still a great look.
- Ice Store. 6 Miles.
- “She didn’t tell you ‘cuz you can keep a secret the way my dentist keeps his car keys! You don’t know him but he’s lost them. Like twice… Actually just once and they were in the other pocket.”
- “I trust you with a secret as much as I trust Marshall with Pop Secret.
- While they were making all the Canadian jokes, a couple in the background aged from getting married to the husband dying. If you missed that, be sure to focus on it next time.
Be sure to check back next week for a review on the next episode of How I Met Your Mother.