Thanks to the title’s overly successful Kickstarter campaign, Yacht Club Games is beginning to provide more details on the free expansions for its critically-adorned retro 2D adventure, Shovel Knight.
The first of which is Plague of Shadows, a content pack that will allow you to control the malevolent Plague Knight. It’s a story that will involve your immoral protagonist turning his back on former allies all in and effort to claim the elusive, ultimate potion: the Serum Supernus. Placing a heavy emphasis on alchemy, the expansion will usher in a brand new crafting system into the game along with never-before-seen bosses to put your mettle to the test.
In tandem with today’s announcement, the studio provided a comprehensive breakdown of what fans of the pixellated action-adventure title can expect when Plague of Shadows launches in a few months time.
- Explode onto the scene as Plague Knight. Use explosives, bomb jumps, and alchemy to blast your way through the game in a whole new way
- Crafting Comes to Shovel Knight with the Alchemy System. Collect loot and use alchemy to craft equipment and power-ups
- Collect new recipes and reagents to become the master of disaster
- New objectives and enemies
- Brand new areas and new paths through classic levels
- New bosses
- Is your science up to snuff? Take on Plague Knight specific challenges with new Feats
Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows will make its debut at PAX East this weekend (March 6) before launching across all systems in the second quarter of 2015. In related news, Yacht Club Games is prepping to launch the original, retro-inspired title across PlayStation platforms in April.