Sniper Elite should have sold better. There, I said it. Screw journalistic integrity; this is a game that was missed by a lot of players for reasons I can’t fathom. While the game was by no means perfect, it offered something different. People love sniping.
I can’t go into a Battlefield or CounterStrike game without being bombarded with players who have mistaken it for a sniping simulator. So, why didn’t Sniper Elite break through? Sure, the game had some flaws with AI and the years haven’t been kind, but this is the only truly realistic sniping simulator I can think of.
Luckily Rebellion Games has decided to give it another shot. In their latest developer commentary, the folks from Rebellion detail how they’re trying to push the envelope every way they can with Sniper Elite V2. By keeping the “thinking man’s shooter” mentality, you will still have to carefully plot out your attack before running in and you’ll be ably rewarded for doing so.
In one situation, you’re presented with four enemy soldiers in a small area. While you could attempt to fire four rapid shots hoping to get them all, that would be nigh impossible with the realistic gameplay. However, if you take a moment to pay attention, you can shoot a grenade strapped to the belt of one of your assailants, ending the fight quickly.
This is a true stealth sniper game where players have to think critically about every encounter. You will have to take wind and distance into account as well as your own heart rate. You’ll also have to time your shots in accordance to the chaos around you in order to mask your sound. This is exactly the game so many players have been clamoring for. As a result, I really hope more people discover it this time.
Sniper Elite V2 will be released on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC during the early part of this year’s summer season. It will be published by 505 Games, with a suggested retail price of $49.99.
Stay tuned to WGTC for more details as we get them.
The sequel to Rebellion’s highly-acclaimed 2005 game Sniper Elite, Sniper Elite V2 continues to offer gamers the most authentic World War II sniping experience by putting them in the middle of war-torn Berlin amidst the frenzied final battle between German and Russian forces. Set at the end of the war, elite U.S. sniper Karl Fairburne must rescue or eliminate members of a team of scientists working on Hitler’s deadly V2 rocket program before they fall into the clutches of Stalin’s Red Army.
With an emphasis on learning to handle the anticipation and pressure of the hunt, players are forced to use skill, patience and cunning to achieve their missions as they find themselves facing life-altering choices.
The celebrated “bullet cam” from Sniper Elite makes its return and will be more gratifying than ever. Skillful shots are rewarded with a slow-motion sequence of the bullet running its full trajectory from barrel to target as well as featuring graphic detail of the effects of the bullet entering and destroying a target.
• Sniping Simulation – Sniper Elite V2 features detailed sniping simulation with advanced ballistics, taking into account gravity, wind, velocity, bullet penetration, aim stability and more. Guaranteed to provide players with the most realistic simulation of military sharpshooting yet available.
• X-Ray Kill Cam – Amazing “kill cam” technology showcases what really happens when a bullet enters an enemy’s body, allowing players to see hearts and lungs tear, livers burst, bones and teeth shatter and entrails fall out.
• Authenticity – The game features authentic World War II Berlin locations as well as vehicles, weapons such as the Springfield M1903, the Gewehr 43 and the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 and uniforms modeled after the original versions.
• Use The Environment – The slightest changes in the environment need to be taken into account to move into the perfect position, observe the quarry, take the shot and slip away unnoticed.
• Snipers Choice – Players will often find themselves facing a choice of the perfect shot that leaves them catastrophically exposed or a more difficult route that means they can continue their mission.
• Multiplayer – For the first time in a Sniper Elite game, two players can play an online campaign in co-op.