Since its reveal, developer PopCap Vancouver has paid close attention to the multiplayer features included in 2016 sequel, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2, though today’s brand new gameplay trailer switches gears to focus on solo play – and it’s a doozy.
Retaining the same form factor as its predecessor, Garden Warfare 2 once again takes place across a 3D battlefield, only this time around, you’ll be able to hot-swap between all of your AI-controlled allies in the single-player component. In the eyes of PopCap, this paves the way for some truly great emergent gameplay, and players “can also combo character abilities in creative ways. Imagine playing as Rose and creating a time warp field to slow down a group of zombies. Then, you quickly switch to the nearby Kernel Corn to call down a buttery airstrike while they’re trapped!”
If you’ve had your fix with the standard Garden Warfare 2 experience, however, don’t fret: the studio is introducing a hoard of appropriately titled ‘crazy’ settings to mix up the formula. Imagine GoldenEye‘s unlockable cheat system, on steroids.
- Infini-Ammo – Characters have infinite ammo without overheat.
- Speed Boost Craziness – Characters move crazy fast.
- Low Gravity – It isn’t just for the moon. The entire match will be played in low gravity.
- Simply Explode Mode – Characters explode when vanquished “simply.”
- Ridiculously Low Health – All characters have a max of one health – instant vanquishes.
- Super Crazy Knock-back Mode – Damaged characters get knocked back…really far.
Coming onto the final straight ahead of release, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 is set to make its debut on February 23 and February 25 in North America and Europe, respectively. It’ll be available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.