Now that the spring premiere of Gotham is so close that we can taste it, Fox has put out a trailer that teases not only what we can expect from the returning episode, but also some of what the rest of the season has to offer. Not surprisingly, many characters are featured, several of which are making their returns.
Obviously, a lot was packed into this promo, so let’s take a closer look at some of the finer points:
- Edward Nygma: If you’ve been keeping up with season 3 to this point, then you’re well aware of the many twists and turns Ed’s relationship with Penguin has taken, all culminating with the former finally adopting the moniker of “the Riddler.” Well, at least that’s what the title of the spring premiere promises us. If they don’t deliver, we riot.
- Barbara Kean: While she doesn’t get too much screentime in the footage given, she can be seen donning colors similar to that of what Harley Quinn would wear. If anything, this adds more evidence to the pile suggesting she’s about to become this show’s version of the character.
- Selina Kyle: Okay, there’s not too much to discuss when it pertains to her, but a generous nod was given to Batman Returns, the movie that taught me cats can lick you back to life when you’re on the brink of death.
- Court of Owls: When this shadowy cabal was announced as playing a key role in season 3, we had no idea how under-utilized they’d end up being. Fortunately, it looks like they’ll make their presence known in kind in the coming weeks and will bring some nifty cinematography along with them.
- United Underworld: Blink and you’ll miss it, but if you’re paying attention, you’ll spot Poison Ivy, Firefly and Mr. Freeze all hanging out, and being confronted by a mysterious figure. I think it goes without saying that this is something we all need to keep our eyes on.
- Bruce Wayne: The boy who would be Batman begins training with the Shaman, thus taking a step closer to his destiny as Gotham’s protector. Let’s just not make any huge leaps saying he’ll be the Dark Knight before you know it. Remember, Batman doesn’t put on the cowl until he’s 25.
Aside from those mentioned, it’s worth going over the trailer with your own fine-toothed comb to see what you can spot. Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing what’s up with Hugo Strange and Fish Mooney, as they’ve been absent since this season’s second episode.
Gotham returns on Monday, April 24 on Fox.