Of course, fans are overjoyed, for while they once had to rely on alternative media to scratch their Clone Wars itch, they can now look forward to 12 more episodes of the show. We already know the Siege of Mandalore will be detailed in the lineup, but here are 10 other story arcs that Lucasfilm had in development that could finally see the light of day when the series returns next year.
- Crystal Crisis on Utapau – This arc sees Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi stop General Grievous from getting his hands on a massive kyber crystal. For the sake of time and effort, it’s possible Lucasfilm could decide to polish this and include it.
- Bad Batch – Here we see Captain Rex and Commander Cody team up with the unorthodox Clone Force 99 to recover a stolen strategy algorithm. Financially, it would make sense for Lucasfilm to finish this one, while Clone Force 99 leader Hunter’s appearance in the trailer for the new season hints further at its inclusion.
- Dark Disciple – This one’s been adapted into a novel by Christie Golden, and Lucasfilm has shared story reel clips from the unfinished episodes that inspired it. In it, we see Quinlan Vos team up with Asajj Ventress to assassinate Count Dooku. Given the success of Golden’s book, the demand for this arc is high, to say the least.
- Bounty Hunters – Lucasfilm has shared fully-voiced story reel clips from this arc already, and it has Boba Fett and Cad Bane team up to rescue a child from Tusken Raiders. Fans have wanted to see this arc for years, so the studio would be smart to finish it up.
- Kashyyyk – Here, we have Yoda and the Bad Batch team up with Wookiees to defeat the Separatists. This arc reveals why Yoda has “good relations with the Wookiees” in Star Wars: Episode III as well, and since the new season of The Clone Wars is closely linked to the film, it would make perfect sense if Kashyyyk was included.
- Ahsoka – Having left the Jedi Order, this arc sees Ahsoka Tano having to ignore her teachings to survive in the Coruscant underworld. Given that she’s arguably the face of The Clone Wars, it would make perfect sense if more than one story arc in the show’s new season was devoted to her.
- Son of Dathomir – Here, Darth Sidious uses Darth Maul to draw out Mother Talzin, his biggest threat. Given how popular the Son of Dathomir comics are, it would be wonderful to see their contents in their intended, televised form.
- Return to the Jedi – In this arc, Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi discover the ruins of a Sith shrine beneath the Jedi Temple. It’s an interesting story, and would be the perfect opportunity to explore the protagonists’ evolved relationships following the events of The Clone Wars‘ fifth season.
- Rex and R2: Top Gun – Very little is known about this arc, but it’s been described by Dave Filoni as “Top Gun with clones.” From what we understand, Captain Rex and R2-D2 are caught in a feud between the Grand Army of the Republic’s ground and air forces. Since this one focuses on a character created for The Clone Wars, it certainly has a strong chance of being included.
- Yuuzhan Vong – Pablo Hidalgo describes this as “an X-Files episode of The Clone Wars” that “really play[s] on the alien abduction vibe.” In it, the Yuuzhan Vong, a popular alien race from the Legends continuity, send a scout ship to assess the Republic’s strength. While this story arc would be a more obscure inclusion, it would also provide the perfect opportunity to make the Yuuzhan Vong canon again.
Only time will tell if any of these stories get the chance to grace the small screen, of course, but fans can look forward to the triumphant return of Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Disney’s new streaming service in Fall 2019.