Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives…for Fortnite, of all things!
Yes, Marvel’s Mad Titan is now available to play as part of the limited-time Infinity Gauntlet event, which arrives alongside the shooter’s hotly-anticipated 4.1 update (full patch notes here). Eek!
In the words of developer Epic Games, this crossover is the result of a “simple phone conversation between Epic and Marvel over a mutual appreciation for Fortnite and Avengers.” And as two of the biggest geek-friendly properties on the planet right now, a mashup involving Fortnite and Infinity War will surely leave eyes wide and fingers twitching.
For the time being, this Infinity Gauntlet event is limited to solo players only, and therefore won’t be available for squads hoping to harness the god-like abilities of all six Infinity Stones. Speaking of which, here’s an overview of the gauntlet itself, which trades fortress building and construction for untold power:
– A mighty punch that knocks enemies back and destroys structures.
– Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
– Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
– A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
Now, you may be wondering how you gain access to said Infinity Gauntlet – the Marvel equivalent of a Weapon of Mass Destruction, essentially. Well, according to Epic’s official patch notes, it involves a combination of a meteor and beating your opponents to the punch.
– Early in the match, a meteor will land in the storm safe zone, delivering the Infinity Gauntlet.
– Any player who uses the Infinity Gauntlet will transform into Thanos.
– If Thanos is eliminated, the Gauntlet will fall to the ground, free for the taking. If it sits unused for too long, it will disappear until another meteor appears.
– Last player standing will be the victor!
Fancy wielding a full-powered Infinity Gauntlet in Fortnite? The Marvel-themed event is officially live as of today, May 8th, and we’ll keep you posted as Epic rolls out more intel relating to Thanos’ crossover.
Source: Epic Games