The Time Lord is plotting course for a galaxy far, far away – not the current Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), mind you, but a Doctor nonetheless.
Yes, earlier this week it was announced that Matt Smith, star of Doctor Who and Netflix darling The Crown, was climbing aboard Star Wars: Episode IX in a mystery role. He’s just the latest in a long line of newcomers to the highly anticipated sequel, with Keri Russell and Richard E. Grant also joining the film recently in undisclosed parts.
With so many casting announcements coming down the pipeline recently though, it’s hard to keep track of who will be appearing in Episode IX and who won’t, which is where Cinema Blend comes in. The outlet’s put together a handy guide of everyone we can expect to see in the pic, and here’s what they present.
- Daisy Ridley – The actress will, of course, be reprising her role of Rey, and given how The Last Jedi left off, there’s a whole lot more to explore with the character in this next installment.
- Adam Driver – Driver’s back as Kylo Ren and with Snoke out of the way now, we’re fascinated to see where J.J. Abrams takes the fan favorite villain.
- John Boygea – We’ve already seen set photos of Boyega reprising his role of Finn and though the context of them was unknown, we’ve heard he’ll have a fairly big role in the pic.
- Oscar Isaac – The ace pilot is all set to return for Episode IX and with Isaac recently promising us some guerrilla warfare in the film, we imagine he’ll be finding himself caught up in all kinds of action and fighting.
- Lupita Nyong’o – Yes, Maz will be back for the final chapter in the Skywalker Saga and we’ve heard she’ll be much more involved than she was in The Last Jedi.
- Domhnall Gleeson – With Snoke gone and Kylo taking over, we expect a fascinating power struggle to develop between him and Gleeson’s General Hux, which should be a ton of fun to watch.
- Kelly Marie Tran – After making a big impact in The Last Jedi, Rose will return for Episode IX and while we don’t know what Abrams has planned for her, we’re looking forward to getting to learn more about the character.
- Billie Lourd – Carrie Fisher’s daughter will reprise her role as Lieutenant Kaydel Ko Connix, though it’s unknown how involved she’ll be in the plot.
- Mark Hamill – Luke Skywalker will be back for Episode IX after being given an epic sendoff in the last film, and we imagine he’ll make his return as a Force Ghost.
- Carrie Fisher – Using deleted footage from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, Abrams will insert General Leia Organa into the story and from what we’ve heard, she’ll have a pretty big role to play.
- Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Joonas Suotamo – With this being the final chapter in the Skywalker Saga, it only makes sense to include iconic characters like C-3PO, Lando and Chewbacca, and sure enough, they’ll all be showing up.
- Richard E. Grant – Some folks still think he’s playing Thrawn, but the actor’s repeatedly denied it, leaving us clueless to who he’s been cast as.
- Keri Russell – Speculation says she could be portraying Rey’s mom, but we’re not convinced.
- Matt Smith – Yes, the fan favorite Time Lord has a role in Episode IX, which is hugely exciting. Unfortunately, though, we’ve no idea who he’s playing.
- Naomi Ackie – Details on her role remain under lock and key, but we’ve heard it’s an important one.
- Dominic Monaghan – The Lost actor is reuniting with Abrams here and though we’re not sure who he’s been cast as, we’re excited to see him involved.
So, there you have it. Every cast member confirmed for Star Wars: Episode IX so far. Who are you most looking forward to seeing in the film, though? As always, you can let us know by dropping a comment down below.