Perhaps it’s the zippy chemistry between Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr., or the enviable ensemble cast, but it’s fair to say that Spider-Man: Homecoming is fast becoming one of, if not the most-anticipated Marvel movies of 2017. But don’t let that admittedly subjective mantle take anything away from Thor: Ragnarok.
Yes, Marvel’s God of Thunder may not draw in the box office numbers of, say, other solo movies in the MCU, but Ragnarok represents an exciting opportunity for director Taika Waititi to buck trend, no thanks to the Planet Hulk story strands and the advent of Cate Blanchett’s Hela. There are many more reasons to look forward to Thor: Ragnarok, and it appears the folks over at Screen Geek have unearthed the mother lode. Citing a trusted inside source, the report pulls together a handful of alleged plot details which, it should be said, are riddled with spoilers for Waititi’s threequel.
On a more general note, Screen Geek’s source claims Thor: Ragnarok will boast a similar tone to that of Captain America: The Winter Soldier – serious character drama peppered with moments of humor, essentially – but beyond that, these tidbits are teeming with spoiler-sensitive material. With that in mind, here’s a rundown of the purported story beats:
- The movie will have a serious tone with little moments of humor, like The Winter Soldier, which is being used as a template.
- Loki is the one that sends Hulk to the gladiator planet where Thor later ends up, Valkyrie is also a warrior in that planet and befriends Thor, but they don’t actually become a couple although there’s a spark between them.
- Jane Foster is not referenced at all in the script.
- Thor, Hulk and Valkyrie have to find the Soul Gem in order to defeat Loki and Hela, who has helped Loki usurp the throne, but is also planning to destroy the Nine Realms in the Ragnarok.
- Loki is eventually betrayed by Hela and helps Thor defeat her, but then Loki betrays him as well and gives the Soul Gem to Thanos, as well as the location of the other Infinity Stones, for his own protection when Thanos launches his offensive on the universe.
- Skurge is Hela’s champion, but he follows her under false pretenses, and turns against her when he finds out what her true plans are, holding off her armies alone at the cost of his own life to give Thor a chance.
Surtur and the Fenris Wolf will appear, among others.
- Odin has been living as a vagrant on Earth ever since Loki usurped the throne and banished him. He gets his full power back in the final scene to battle the Ragnarok monsters.
- Sif, the Warriors Tree and Heimdall are returning. Heimdall dies.
- Doctor Strange will have a cameo.
Thor: Ragnarok will be with us on November 3, 2017.
Source: Screen Geek