Serial killer ‘hiding in plain sight’ pleads guilty to murders in Brooklyn complex – We Got This Covered
Forgot password
Enter the email address you used when you joined and we'll send you instructions to reset your password.
If you used Apple or Google to create your account, this process will create a password for your existing account.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Reset password instructions sent. If you have an account with us, you will receive an email within a few minutes.
Something went wrong. Try again or contact support if the problem persists.
Getty Images stock photo

Serial killer ‘hiding in plain sight’ pleads guilty to murders in Brooklyn complex

The main suspect has already pleaded guilty.

A multistory complex in Brooklyn, New York, has been having security concerns for at least a decade. From Nov. 8, 2015, three women have been killed at a public housing complex in Brownsville while they were in their apartments. 

Recommended Videos

The first victim was Myrtle McKinney, 82, who was stabbed by a knife in her neck in 2015. McKinney was a Jamaica-born retired housekeeper who had worked in Florida and Bahama 10 years ago. According to the DA’s office, there was no such crime in the complex for four more years.

On April 30 2019, Jacolia James, 83, was stomped on her neck and chest. James was found lying in her apartment after a relative came to visit only to find her face down and bruised according to a report that was published by NBC. James’ relatives later told the press that she was always vigilant and wary of strangers in her complex. Even though James had lived in the building for decades at that point, she never quite trusted her neighbors.

The next murder in the building this time had a shorter wait. On Jan. 14, 2021, Juanita Caballero, 78, better known as Lucy to her neighbors, was found strangled in her apartment using a telephone cord. Lucy had been selling loosies (loose cigarettes) from her apartment and was found dead by her son. At first, the New York Police Department believed that these were strings of robberies.

As the investigations continued, there was evidence that suggested the killer could be one person. The prosecutors then arrested the building’s handyman, Kevin Gavin, 71. Authorities alleged that Gavin had been hired by all 3 women for help. The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office have since described Gavin as a “serial killer inside his own apartment building.”

District Attorney Eric Gonzalez released a statement that read in part: “This defendant exploited elderly women who trusted him, gained access to their homes, and murdered them in a series of brutal attacks that shocked the conscience. These victims were vulnerable neighbors who deserved safety and dignity, and instead had their lives stolen by someone they believed was there to help.”

Gavin has since admitted to killing the three women in question. He pleaded guilty to one count of first degree murder and two counts of second degree murder. He struck a deal with the DA for a 30 year sentence. At his age, it’s very likely Gavin will never taste freedom for the rest of his life.

As to why Gavin committed the murders — even though there will never be an excuse that will make any of this understandable — he said it was over money. He claimed to have had disputes about his pay prior to his murders with each of the victims.

The nature of the brutal murder of the victims certainly aligns with Gavin’s claim that he had a fight with the women he ended up killing. As for what the city has been doing to manage the concerns about security, reportedly the housing authority announced that 127 security cameras had been installed all around the complex. 

The housing authority also thanked law enforcement for bringing this long running case to a conclusion.


We Got This Covered is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more about our Affiliate Policy
Author
Image of Fred Onyango
Fred Onyango
Fred Onyango is an entertainment journalist who primarily focuses on the intersection of entertainment, society, and politics. He has been writing about the entertainment industry for five years, covering celebrity, music, and film through the lens of their impact on society and politics. He has reported from the London Film Festival and was among the first African entertainment journalists invited to cover the Sundance Film Festival. Fun fact—Fred is also a trained pilot.