Game of Thrones may be over, but some people just can’t let it go. One particular fan named Ryan Geddes, who ironically describes himself as a “casual fan” of the franchise, felt so upset that he decided to raise money for a plane banner in order to demand that HBO remake the final season.
While the online fundraiser may have started as a joke between friends, it quickly became much more than that. It took less than six days for Geddes to reach his goal of $698, with 17 people donating an average of $40 to make it happen. Clearly, he wasn’t the only fan who wanted to take to the skies to protest the show’s godawful conclusion.
On Wednesday afternoon, a plane flew over downtown Seattle for half an hour with the phrase “SOMEONE REWRITE GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8 PLZ” trailing behind it. The Internet instantly was caught up in the hilarious display of frustration and Geddes was proud to be at the forefront.
Given the attention that the banner received, it’s possible that there are more on the horizon. Additional messages were planned just in case more donations came in, such as:
- “WHY DID YOU PUT THE TREBUCHETS IN FRONT OF WINTERFELL”
- “IF BRAN NO LONGER HAS JURISDICTION OVER THE NIGHTS WATCH WHY IS SANSA ENFORCING JON’S BANISHMENT”
- “DID THEY COSTUME EURON GREYJOY IN THE ZARA CLEARANCE AISLE?”
- “WHY DID SCORPIONS GO FROM OVERPOWERED TO USELESS IN ONE EPISODE”
- “WHAT IS STOPPING DORNE AND THE IRON ISLANDS FROM SECEDING NOW THAT THE UNSULLIED AND DOTHRAKI HAVE LEFT?”
- “NONE OF THE CHARACTERS DECISIONS MAKE SENSE ANY MORE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE”
- “I STILL DON’T KNOW WHO THE NIGHT KING IS AND I’M STRUGGLING TO FIND AN APPROPRIATE MEDIUM TO EXPRESS MY FRUSTRATION AND DESPAIR”
Despite the humor of the situation, the fan decided to use his platform for good by encouraging others to channel their frustration into something positive:
“As disappointing as the lazy writing and rushed conclusions of the last season of Game of Thrones have been, even more disappointing is the lack of resources for survivors of strokes and brain injuries. So I would encourage any aggrieved fans who want to send a message to HBO to go and donate money to Emilia Clarke’s charity at sameyou.org. If I can use my 15 minutes of stupid internet fame for good, I’d like to do that.”
This is clearly a man with a good head on his shoulders. If there is ultimately a Game of Thrones remake, maybe he should be the one to sit on the Iron Throne.