The new narrative’s about an ongoing war between the Prisoner, the Ice King and some pirates, and to mark this new era for the game, they’ve now introduced cannons (that you can apparently fire yourself out of) and a volcano area that completely rejigs the northeast corner of the map, adding new areas called Sunny Steps and Lazy Lagoon.
Also new today are a fresh set of challenges, which appear designed to encourage players to explore and interact with the other new features that Epic’s doled out.
The free challenges this week are as follows:
- To visit all of the pirate camps.
- To search seven chests at Retail Row or Junk Junction.
- To deal damage with a shotgun and explosive weapon in a single match (this is the first stage of a 3-stage challenge.
For those who’ve either bought or earned this season’s Battle Pass, they get a further set of challenges, which you can find below:
- To visit the giant faces in the desert, jungle and snow areas.
- To use a Volcano Vent in five different matches.
- To eliminate opponents with a shotgun, assault rifle and explosive weapon.
- To deal 200 damage to a vehicle driven by an opponent (this is cumulative).
We’re still exploring the new map right now, but I’m particularly enjoying the volcano area. Not only does it look neat, but the volcanic vents launch players (and I think vehicles) high into the sky, which sounds like a cool way to get around the map in a hurry.
Tell us, are you enjoying the changes Epic’s made to mark the beginning of Fortnite Season 8? And perhaps more importantly, do you think they’ll be enough to stop folks from moving on to Apex Legends? As always, sound off down below.