Been enjoying The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword? Hopefully you haven’t gotten too far, or you might have accidentally run into a new game-breaking glitch found in the game.
The glitch itself occurs on the “Song of the Hero” quest. It seems that should you speak to a certain Goron more than once before turning in a certain part of the quest, Link will be hopelessly locked away from moving forward.
Full details on what causes the glitch and how to avoid it come directly from a press release from Nintendo:
We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon’s event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon’s song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
I wish I had a better answer, but I’m afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.
It doesn’t sound like anything will end up being done about this glitch. Some of you may remember that in Metroid: Other M, there was another game-breaking glitch that locked a door if certain things weren’t done in a certain order. It was fairly easy to avoid if gamers followed sequence, but other gamers were locked out. Nintendo offered a fix by asking gamers to send their save file in on an SD card.
It’s a shame the Wii doesn’t offer much in the way of firmware updates.
What say you, gamers? Anyone encountered this glitch?