EA Sports unveiled details from its upcoming release of NHL 13, and has provided us hockey fans with some very interesting information. I’ve been playing the NHL series since as long as I can remember and never have I seen the game get as realistic as this. One of the features I’m greatly excited about is EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q, which I’ll explain shortly.
When the game releases on September 11th in North America and September 14th in Europe, we will have on our hands a completely revamped NHL video game experience. First on the list, NHL 13 will incorporate True Performance Skating. This is one of the biggest and most innovative changes for the series. The physics driven game has been given over 1000 new skating animations and, when you combine that with the skill stick, this is already starting to be a dream come true. This will allow for realistic skating abilities for players, which will better replicate what we see in the NHL today.
Our second highlight today is what I mentioned above; EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q. This is where the AI will be completely revamped and all players, including goalies, will now be fully aware of what’s going on on the ice at all times. In previous games, they would only be aware of what was going on around them.
Those are just a couple of the new systems that EA Sports will be implementing in NHL 13, however. Here are a few more bullet points to mull over:
- Team-First Presentation, which customizes your NHL 13 experience based on your favorite NHL team
- The addition of Customizable EA SPORTS Hockey IQ allowing players to create and record their own player and team strategies to a level never before seen in the franchise.
- Improvements to core offline and online modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team, Be a Pro, EA SPORTS Hockey League, a refined on-ice presentation, and more.
Check out more from the press release below:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) announced today the key features for EA SPORTSTM NHL®13, promising the biggest change to the franchise since the introduction of the Skill Stick in NHL® 07. Headlined by all–new True Performance Skating, and supported by an innovative new A.I. system dubbed EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 will deliver a revamped gameplay experience that accurately captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey. In addition, NHL 13 will also deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.
NHL 13 – True Performance Skating (Photo: Business Wire)
“The NHL team has been a leader when it comes to innovation in the sports videogame category on this console generation by redefining player control with the introduction of the Skill Stick, creating connected experiences such as the EA SPORTS Hockey League and introducing real world physics to the team sports category,” says Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “With our feature set in NHL 13, hockey fans and sports gamers have a lot to be excited about as we are again going to deliver major innovations that will change the way you play the game.”
NHL 13 will deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and to NHL hockey with:
- GM Connected — The ultimate fantasy league with friends. GM Connected takes the franchise’s most popular offline mode, Be a GM, and allows you to play with and against your friends in your own 30-team NHL. Whether you are a hardcore sports gamer or a hockey fan that moonlights as an armchair general manager, the mode offers unrivaled accessibility and depth by allowing players to manage, play or coach on the road to building your team’s legacy. GM’s can also take their experience with them with a mobile companion app, ensuring that they never miss a single moment.*
- NHL Moments Live — Rewrite or relive history as you replay some of the most thrilling moments from today’s NHL. NHL 13 evolves the concept introduced by other sports games, introducing each scenario with real-world NHL footage to bring players closer to the intensity of the moment. Moments from the 2011-12 NHL season will ship on disc and new moments from the 2012-13 NHL season will be added as and when available throughout the season.
NHL 13 Stanley Cup® Collector’s Edition Available for Pre-Order
Celebrate over 20 years of EA SPORTS NHL hockey with the first ever collector’s edition on this console generation. With Stanley Cup-inspired digital offerings, the NHL 13 Stanley Cup Collector’s Edition includes:
- Exclusive collectible Stanley Cup® tin featuring an embossed Stanley Cup image
- Two Stanley Cup® Theme Hockey Ultimate Team packs featuring randomized player items from the Western and Eastern Conference Champions
- Gold Jumbo Hockey Ultimate Team Pack (Regular) featuring 24 randomized items, including an exclusive Wayne Gretzky Hockey Ultimate Team Legend and six other rare items
- A CCM Boost Pack featuring the all-new CCM RBZ stick (For use in Be a Pro and EA SPORTS™ Hockey League)
- A 10% discount on a one-time purchase at shop.NHL.com
- A complete copy of NHL 13