Once 2017’s glimpse into the humble lives of Derry’s residents proved to be a box office juggernaut, it only made sense that studios scramble to get the next adaptation of a story penned by Stephen King up on the big screen, chief among which will be IT: Part 2. After all, why not keep that ball rolling with the omniscient clown that started the current craze?
Of course, we knew that the next installment was an absolute certainty, but we as moviegoers naturally appreciate reassurance along the way. As you may have heard, the director of the previous flick, Andy Muschietti, had previously hinted that he’d again be sitting behind the camera for the second go-round, and now Indie Wire confirms that he will indeed be coming back to helm the sequel.
Furthermore, producer Roy Lee told the outlet that “the script is still being finalized and the locations are currently being scouted in anticipation of shooting then,” with the targeted time to begin principal photography being this July. As for where cameras will roll, Toronto, Ontario is said to double as Derry.
When it comes to who’s plotting this thing, it should also be known that Gary Dauberman, one of the three scribes to have written the first film, is currently hard at work on the screenplay. Suffice it to say, that should instill a level of consumer confidence.
Right now, it’s not entirely known who’s set to star, but we are to expect the same kids who featured in the previous effort to return for flashback sequences. Additionally, Jessica Chastain is reported to be in talks to play the adult version of Beverly Marsh.
IT: Part 2 is slated to arrive in theaters on September 6, 2019.