In a smart move to avoid spoiling the whole of the movie, Avengers: Infinity War isn’t getting the usual full premiere until only a few days before release and instead, is receiving special sneak peak events at which the first 20 minutes of the film are being shown. Of course, that hasn’t stopped fans from talking and now, some more details have emerged which reveal what to expect from the beginning of the team-up extravaganza.
The first thing to know is that the action for this initial portion of Infinity War is split between New York, with the likes of Iron Man, Doctor Strange and Banner coming together, and the Milano spaceship, where the Guardians encounter Thor. For starters, here’s what blogger Jeremy Conrad shared about the NYC scene.
- As seen in the first teaser trailer, Tony does have the flip phone in this scene that Steve gave him. He was in the process of calling for help when Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian’s ship appears over New York.
- Prior to that, Strange and Wong are explaining the Infinity Stones to Tony. This ties-in with the Infinity War prelude comic where Wong gives the history of the Stones to Doctor Strange. It’s also here that Banner learns that the Avengers boy band broke up, and that Vision is off the grid and only Steve knows where to find him.
- Stan Lee’s cameo is part of the overall New York sequence, but I won’t spoil what it is here.
- When Stark gets in the ship, he calls Pepper and tells her that he won’t be back for a while. It’s not known if she has more scenes in Infinity War or if the interview in the Behind the Scenes footage was from the Avengers 4 filming.
- After Stark, Peter, and Strange leave on the alien ship, Banner uses the flip phone to make a call.
Meanwhile, in space, the God of Thunder crashes into the Milano after tussling with Thanos, and here’s what Conrad revealed about what happens from thereon out:
- As people have theorized, this is where the Gamora speech about Thanos in the second trailer comes from. She’s telling Thor and the Guardians his history (not talking to Tony Stark).
- Thor talks a little about the events of Ragnarok and Hela, and tells the Guardians about Thanos attacking the Asgardians and getting the Tesseract.
- As described before, they talk about going to Knowhere to get the Power Stone from the Collector, but what wasn’t in the previous description is Thor talks about Nidavellir where weapons can be made to defeat Thanos.
- Obviously this is the scene where Star-Lord imitates Thor’s speech like in the most recent TV spot, and they debate about splitting up the crew. One group going to Knowhere and the other with Thor to forge a new weapon. Peter doesn’t want to break up the Milano, but Rocket puts his foot down and they decide to go their separate ways. Rocket and Groot go with Thor to Nidavellir while the others head to Knowhere to see the Collector.
Of course, none of this is particularly spoiler-y, as much of it we’d already worked out – like Tony’s burner phone. However, there are some interesting details here, including the fact that Stan Lee and Gwyneth Paltrow’s cameos in the movie arrive so early in the runtime. Also, we now know how Thor’s subplot to find himself a replacement weapon kicks off.
Thankfully, there’s not too much longer to go until we get to find out what happens after the first 20 minutes of the film, as Avengers: Infinity War arrives in cinemas on April 27th and will forever change the Marvel Cinematic Universe.