Long before The Force Awakens graced screens, ardent Star Wars fans poured over each and every nugget of information to surface from the set of J.J. Abrams’ franchise revival to not only pick apart potential plot details, but also in an effort to identity the host of cameos included in the film.
As it turns out, the likes of Simon Pegg, Alec Guinness and Daniel Craig all featured at various points of Abrams’ sci-fi adventure, and it looks as though Rian Johnson will be keeping that spirit alive long into Star Wars: Episode VIII by littering cameos and easter eggs across the sequel.
Pegged to arrive in December 0f 2017, there’s still plenty of time before Johnson’s follow-up lands in theaters, but Making Star Wars has confirmed reports that Tom Hardy will be making a brief appearance in Episode VIII.
Spoilers to follow….
MORE NEWS FROM THE WEB
In a similar vein to Daniel Craig’s faceless cameo aboard one of the First Order’s Star Destroyers, the outlet claims the Mad Max: Fury Road star has inked a deal to star as a Stormtropper, one that has an interaction with FN-2187 – AKA John Boyega’s Finn. Making Star Wars’ report goes on to reveal some minor plot details that you can check out below:
- Tom Hardy plays a First Order stormtrooper.
- Said stormtrooper glimpses FN-2187 on a secret mission but doesn’t realize it.
- The “incognito” FN-2187 is surprised when the stormtrooper walks up behind him and slaps him on the ass.
- FN-2187 turns around and believes he’s dead. He’s surely going to be captured.
- The stormtrooper is elated to see his old friend from back during their First Order academy days.
- The stormtrooper congratulates FN-2187 on his promotion to Resistance infiltrator and spy.
- FN-2187 is free to go about his business to his amazement.
So, there you have it. Keep your ears cocked to hear Tom Hardy’s voice featured in Star Wars: Episode VIII when Rian Johnson’s sequel blasts into theaters on December 17, 2017. Before that, though, a trip back along the Star Wars timeline beckons with the release of December’s Rogue One.