A Chicago public high school is facing backlash after a video surfaced showing students reenacting a slave auction during a Black History Month play, prompting outrage from teachers, parents, and community members who said administrators failed to act after concerns were raised last year.
The controversy centers on “Journey Back to America,” a production performed in February 2025 at Carver Military Academy on Chicago’s Far South Side. According to NBC Chicago, the play depicted slavery and the broader African American experience in the United States.
But one scene in particular has drawn criticism. Video obtained by NBC Chicago showed students participating in a mock slave auction while audience members were encouraged to bid on them.
Teachers who witnessed the performance said Black students were cast as enslaved people, while Hispanic and Latino students portrayed auctioneers and buyers.
One anonymous longtime teacher told NBC Chicago the casting choices appeared deliberate and deeply troubling. “The students were divvied up,” the teacher said, as Hispanic and Latino students became slave auctioneers and purchasers, and Black students were slaves.
“Several teachers, including myself,” and several parents left, the teacher added. “We walked out of the auditorium because we couldn’t believe what was happening.
A faculty member wrote the script
NBC Chicago said it reviewed a purported copy of the script that included disturbing dialogue from the auction scene. One line reportedly had an auctioneer describing an enslaved person as “a fine specimen” who could work in the fields and be bred.
Concerned teachers said they brought complaints to the school principal and Chicago Public Schools administrators shortly after the February 2025 performance. However, they alleged that little was done in response. More than a year later, those teachers turned over the footage to Chicago media outlets after becoming frustrated with the district’s handling of the situation.
The controversy has since spread beyond the school community. Chicago Public Schools acknowledged the incident after NBC Chicago published its investigation.
The play fallout continues
In a statement issued Friday night to NBC Chicago, CPS said district and network leadership became aware of concerns tied to the production in February 2026. The district added that “activities of this nature are wholly inconsistent with the expectations and values of this administration.” CPS did not publicly announce disciplinary measures or identify the faculty member involved.
Teachers also criticized what they described as an inadequate response from the district’s Office of Equity. The district ultimately issued standard guidance for culturally responsible school assemblies and performances, but did not directly address the specific incident.
Northwestern University professor Alvin Tillery, director of the Center for the Study of Diversity and Democracy, told NBC Chicago he could not identify a valid educational reason for students to reenact the trauma of slavery in that manner. “We do not need to put children in the position of reenacting these cruelties,” Tillery said, calling the scene “very, very problematic.” As of Monday, CPS had not announced any additional public action related to the controversy, and the district has not said whether staff discipline or policy changes are forthcoming.
Published: May 18, 2026 01:05 pm