One of Pokémon Go’s most elusive Pokémon is Meltan. This mythical creature isn’t there for trainers to just randomly catch around their neighborhood. In Pokémon Go, Meltan is available through the “Let’s GO, Meltan” Special Research tasks, or through linking the game to a Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu! or Let’s Go, Eevee! game.
Now that Pokémon Go is celebrating its five-year anniversary, Meltan is also back in Shiny Meltan form. But you’ll have to act fast if you want to earn your very own iteration of this rare Pokémon.
In this article, we’ll be walking you through how you can use the Pokémon Home app to score yourself a Mystery Box with the legendary species Meltan.
How to get Meltan in Pokémon Go
The most common way to acquire a Meltan is also the most laborious. Players will need to complete the nine-part Let’s GO, Meltan Special Research campaign. Here’s the full requirements.
- Spin five PokéStops or Gyms
- Catch 10 Pokémon
- Transfer five Pokémon
- Earn two Candies walking with your buddy
- Make 10 Great Throws
- Hatch three Eggs
- Catch a Ditto
- Win two Gym Battles
- Battles in two raids
- Catch five Steel Pokémon
- Catch five Electric Pokémon
- Earn five Candies walking with a buddy
- Evolve a Grimer
- Catch five Slugma or Gulpin
- Make 20 Great Throws
- Evolve a Magnemite
- Catch five Exeggcute
- Battle in 10 raids
- Evolve one Drowzee
- Catch one Cubone
- Evolve one Scyther
- Catch two Omanyte or Kabuto
- Catch two Lileep or Anorith
- Catch an Aerodactyl
- Claim your reward
- Claim your reward
- Claim your reward
How to get a Shiny Meltan
Mystery Boxes aren’t new to Pokémon Go, nor is Shiny Meltan. But for Pokémon Go‘s anniversary, Niantic has spiced things up by offering a Shiny Meltan for a limited time through opening Mystery Boxes. If you’re fast you can score a Shiny Meltan.
Meltan’s shiny iteration returned to Pokémon Go on July 6 and will remain until July 15. You’ll need the Pokémon Home app to acquire one. The storage application is available for both Nintendo Switch and on mobile and can be used to transfer Pokémon between a range of different games. For Pokémon Go‘s fifth anniversary, here’s how it works for a Shiny Meltan.
Step 1: Pokémon Home
First, make sure you have both Pokémon Go and Pokémon Home installed and set up. When everything is ready, you’ll need to transfer a single Pokémon before being rewarded with a Mystery Box. Here’s what to do.
- Launch the Pokémon Go app.
- Press the PokéBall icon to bring up the main menu.
- Click the gear icon, which will take you into the settings menu.
- Scroll down, press the Pokémon Home option from the list.
- Under the Nintendo Account, you’ll want to select Sign In and log in with your Nintendo.com details.
- Once you’ve completed this you’ll be taken back to the Pokémon Go app.
Step 2: Transfer a Pokémon
Now that your Pokémon Home account is linked, the next step is to transfer a Pokémon from Pokémon Go into the Pokémon Home app.
- Start Pokémon Go.
- Select the PokéBall icon and head to the main menu.
- Again, select the cog to take you back into the settings menu.
- Select Pokémon Home.
- Choose the “Send Pokémon” option from the top of the page.
- Follow the prompts and select the Pokémon you’d like to transfer to the app.
- Continue following the prompts and select the Pokémon you would like to transfer over to the Pokémon Home app.
- Once you’ve completed that, move over to the Pokémon Home app.
- Follow the prompts to complete the linking process to your Pokémon Go account.
- View and receive your newly transferred Pokémon.
Step 3: Open the Mystery Box
Now your last steps are back on the Pokémon Go app.
- Start Pokémon Go and navigate to the main menu.
- Head to your items tab from the main menu. You should see your newly acquired Mystery Box.
- Open the Mystery Box. This will attract Meltan to your location for the next hour.
During the time that Meltan is lured to your location, there is a chance you’ll capture a Shiny Meltan. This isn’t always possible, however. Granted, you can receive further Mystery Boxes by repeating the transfer process, but you’ll need to wait three days to receive a Mystery Box from sending another Pokémon.