Crazy regenerative powers, awesome adamantium claws, the berserking rage of an rabid animal, the most badass mutton chops ever, AND a 4-disc Blu-Ray set complete with an unrated extended cut? Some superheroes just have it all.
In case you hadn’t gathered by the picture and description above, that superhero I’m talking about is Wolverine, and now we have word that James Mangold’s The Wolverine will have an extended unrated cut as a part of its massive 4-disc Blu-Ray set, in stores December 3rd.
Now before you get too excited, keep in mind we still don’t know what will be in this cut. Just because the film has an unrated edition doesn’t mean that it’s going to be the gory, beyond-R version that Wolverine fans want from their hardcore hero. It could just mean there are other scenes that weren’t rated, but still, the potential is there, making this Blu-Ray one of my most anticipated of the year.
In addition to that exciting cut, the set also has some other intriguing special features, including an alternate ending. Check out the full list of those below.
- The Extended, Unrated Cut – the first for the X-Men franchise!
- THE WOLVERINE Unleashed – more violent and hardcore than ever before
- The Path of the Ronin – an immersive feature following the journey of a hero without a past
- Alternate Ending
- Audio Commentary by Director James Mangold (only on the unleashed extended)
- Sync with The Wolverine Second Screen App for an interactive Second Screen experience
- X-Men: Days of Future Past Set Tour
- Theatrical Trailer
Even if the unrated cut isn’t far enough beyond the PG-13 rating that many fans think is much too low for a proper X-Men film, I’ll still be excited solely by the extended part of things. The Wolverine is my favorite superhero film of 2013 so far, with Jackman and Mangold combining to finally make a film worthy of the character. I can’t wait to see what didn’t quite make the theatrical cut.
What do you think of this 4-disc set for The Wolverine? Will you be dropping your dollars on it? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.