Warner Bros. has confirmed that Interstellar will enter near-Earth orbit on March 31, when Christopher Nolan’s cerebral sci-fi will become available on Blu-Ray.
Charting the bold and ambitious endeavours of Matthew McConaughey and Co., Nolan’s latest takes place in the not-so-distant and terrifyingly believable future where humanity is clutching at straws to resolve the planet’s crippling food crisis. With unforgiving dust storms forcing the remnants of society back to their agrarian roots, a small band of survivors pull together to go boldly where no man has gone before, entering a wormhole in the hope of finding a new habitable planet to call their own. Joining McConaughey for the mind-bending journey are Anne Hathaway, Wes Bentley and two wise-cracking AI robots known as TARS and CASE.
When it released last year, many moviegoers were chomping at the bit to see Interstellar in all of its grandeur, hunting down the biggest screen and widest format they could possibly find. Unfortunately, that time has passed, but much like the majority of films in Nolan’s backlog, his bold sci-fi odyssey pretty much demands a repeat viewing, and we can’t wait to have our knowledge of phyiscs pushed to breaking point — and beyond! — when the movie docks on Blu-Ray on March 31.
Here’s a comprehensive list of all of the supplementary bonuses you can look forward to in a couple months time.
- The Science of Interstellar – Extended cut of the broadcast special.
- Plotting an Interstellar Journey – Discusses the film’s origins, influences and narrative designs.
- Life on Cooper’s Farm – Bringing Americana and the grounded nature of a farm to a sci-fi space movie.
- The Dust – Learn how cast and crew avoided sand blindness, and see how to create, and clean up after, a catastrophic dust storm.
- TARS and CASE – Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.
- Cosmic Sounds – The concepts, process, and recording of Hans Zimmer’s unforgettable score.
- The Space Suits – A look at the design and build of the suits and helmets, and what it was like to wear them.
- The Endurance – Explore this massive set with a guided tour by production designer Nathan Crowley.
- Shooting in Iceland: Miller’s Planet/Mann’s Planet – Travel with the cast and crew to Iceland and see the challenges they faced in creating two vastly different worlds in one country.
- The Ranger and the Lander – A look at the other two spaceships in the film.
- Miniatures in Space – Marvel at the large-scale models used in the explosive docking sequence.
- The Simulation of Zero-G – Discover the various methods that the filmmakers used to create a zero gravity environment.
- Celestial Landmarks – Explore how the filmmakers used practical special effects informed by real scientific equations to give the illusion of real space travel for both the actors and the audience.
- Across All Dimensions and Time – A look at the concept and design of the Tesseract, which incorporated a practical set rather than a green screen.
- Final Thoughts – The cast and crew reflect back on their Interstellar experience.
- Theatrical Trailers
Source: Rope of Silicon