Quality be damned – you put Denzel Washington in an action-thriller, and audiences will turn out in droves. Such was the case this past September with The Equalizer, which received decent reviews but slayed the competition at the box office, having the biggest R-rated September debut of all time and eventually grossing $186.6 million. Now, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced that it will be bringing The Equalizer to Blu-Ray just in time for the new year.
The Digital HD release will take place on December 16th, with the Blu-Ray and DVD both touching down two weeks later on December 30th. The Blu-Ray will boast a 1080p video transfer as well as an English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track, a UV code and a digital copy. The special features were also detailed.
Blu-ray & DVD Bonus Features Include:
- Two Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
- Home Mart: Taking Care of Business One Bolt at a Time – On the film’s climactic Home Mart sequence.
- Children of the Night – Moretz discusses her character, Teri and the research she did to play the young, exploited girl.
- Blu-ray Exclusive Bonus Features Include:
- Vengeance Mode
- Photo Gallery
- Four Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes:
- Inside The Equalizer – Exploring the creative process of re-imagining and bringing Robert McCall to life.
- Denzel Washington: A Different Kind of Superhero – A behind-the-scenes look at how Washington trained for his physically demanding role in this film.
- Equalizer Vision: Antoine Fuqua – A firsthand look at the movie-making process from the Director.
- One Man Army: Training and Fighting – A discussion with Washington, Csokas & stunt coordinator, Keith Woulard, on the process of building a one-man army.
Check out the plot summary below and let us know if you’ll be picking up The Equalizer on Blu-Ray.
In The Equalizer, Denzel Washington plays McCall, a man who believes he has put his mysterious past behind him and dedicated himself to beginning a new, quiet life. But when McCall meets Teri (Chloë Grace Moretz), a young girl under the control of ultra-violent Russian gangsters, he can’t stand idly by, he has to help her. Armed with hidden skills that allow him to serve vengeance against anyone who would brutalize the helpless, McCall comes out of his self-imposed retirement and finds his desire for justice reawakened. If someone has a problem, if the odds are stacked against them, if they have nowhere else to turn, McCall will help. He is THE EQUALIZER.