While Star Trek fans might be focusing most of their attention on some of the newer series – such as Discovery, or the upcoming Picard show heading to CBS All Access – a few of the older iterations are still being enjoyed to this day. In fact, a brand new Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary recently made its way theaters and it’s set to be released on Blu-Ray in a few short weeks.
Having been in development for quite some time, What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine hit the big screen in May, for a special, one-night event put on by Shout Studios and Fathom Events. The doc, which got funding thanks to a successful Indiegogo campaign, focused on the edgier series that aired throughout the 90s. Directed by Ira Steven Behr (DS9’s showrunner) and David Zappone (who’s worked on other Star Trek docs), the film gives fans an exhaustive behind-the-scenes look at the making of Deep Space Nine, while also laying to rest a few long-standing questions.
Considering its rather limited run in theaters, there’s a good chance you missed catching the doc on the big screen. Thankfully, Shout Studios is planning on bringing What We Left Behind to Blu-Ray and DVD in August. The standard, no-frills edition will be available at most major retailers and comes packed with a handful of deleted scenes, special features, bonus clips, an inside look at the show’s remastering process, and more.
MORE FROM THE WEB
Here’s a brief rundown of what’s included:
- An Intro from Ira Steven Behr
- A Brief History of Deep Space Nine featurette
- What We Left Out – Deleted Scenes
- Behind the Scenes at the Variety photoshoot featurette
- HD Remaster Discussion with the filmmakers
- More from the Fans featurette
- Theatrical Trailer
If you’re in the mood for something a bit more collectible, 1,500 limited edition copies will be available exclusively on Shout Studio’s website. This premium buy comes with the standard pack-ins detailed above, along with a few extra goodies:
- A Musical Reunion with Composers Dennis McCarthy and Kevin Kiner
- A Roundtable Look at The Making of the Documentary
- A 50-minute discussion with co-director and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine showrunner Ira Steven Behr, co-director David Zappone, producer Kai de Mello-Folsom, producer/editor Joseph Kornbrodt and producer/editor Luke Snailham
As a big fan of The Next Generation, I plan to fully watch Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in the near future, and it looks like this new doc serves as the perfect companion piece.
What are your plans, though? Will you be picking up a copy of What We Left Behind? Be sure to let us know in the comments section down below.
Source: TV Web