Whether it’s the pioneering spirit that inspires humans to go boldly where no one has gone before, not to mention the intoxicating sense of discovery that follows, or the multi-species cast at its heart, Star Trek has a long history of breaking boundaries with its progressive characters and multifaceted stories, and that’s a legacy CBS had hoped to honor with Star Trek: Discovery.
Premiering back in September, season 1 was unfortunately a bit of a mixed bag. There were moments of genius and a ton of thrilling action, as well as some interesting looks at traditional material along with a few juicy plot twists, but it didn’t quite manage to achieve the mainstream TV re-invention of the franchise that the producers were no doubt aiming for. That might all change when season 2 airs in January 2019, but until then, we can still relive the rookie outing from the comfort of our own home as CBS is bringing Discovery‘s first season to Blu-ray.
That’s right, the network will be dropping Captain Lorca and the gang onto store shelves on November 13th, and aside from all 15 episodes that made up the show’s debut run, we’ll also be getting some exciting bonus features. From deleted and extended scenes, to interviews with the cast and crew, there’s lot to dig into here and we can’t wait to get our hands on it all.
For a full list of extras, see below:
- DISCOVERING DISCOVERY: THE CONCEPTS AND CASTING OF STAR TREK: DISCOVERY – Interviews with producers, writers and stars of Star Trek: Discovery about casting of the debut season.
- THE STAR TREK THEME – A discussion with executive producer Alex Kurtzman and composer Jeff Russo about creating the Discovery theme and score for the show.
- CREATURE COMFORTS – A behind-the-scenes look at the makeup and prosthetics department on Star Trek: Discovery, as they both modernize well-known Star Trek species like the Klingons, Vulcans and the Andorians, and bring to life a new species, the Kelpiens.
- DESIGNING DISCOVERY – Insight into the production design department led by Tamara Deverell as they create the planets, the world within those worlds and the starships to travel amongst them.
- CREATING SPACE – An exploration of how the VFX team, headed by Jason Zimmerman, pushes the envelope to create the reality of space, planets, and starships for Star Trek: Discovery.
- PROP ME UP – Led by propmaster Mario Moreira, a voyage through the world of Discovery props, providing an inside look at the design process from inception to set.
- FEEDING FRENZY – A fascinating look at the on-set food stylist who creates a galaxy of cuisine.
- A FEMALE TOUCH – With strong female producers and writers off-screen and powerful female characters on-screen, Discovery exemplifies the groundbreaking inclusionary theme first put forth in the original series.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS – Costume designer Gersha Phillips and her team create a spectacular array of clothing, uniforms and armor for every kind of species in the galaxy.
- STAR TREK: DISCOVERY: THE VOYAGE OF SEASON ONE – A look at the adventures and plot twists encountered in the first season by the crew of the Discovery.
Exactly where Star Trek: Discovery goes from here remains to be seen. For instance, will the Klingon War spill over into season 2? And can we expect CBS’ series to branch off and explore other members of the USS Discovery crew a little more in-depth?
Time will tell, but if one thing’s for certain, it’s that the future of the franchise is looking very bright at the moment and for those hoping to revisit the first handful of adventures featuring Lorca, Burnham, Saru and all the others, you’ll be able to do so later this year.